Saturday, May 15, 2010

Car Computer.... in short carputer... Part 1

I have been toying around with the idea of fitting a car computer aka carputer in the RONDO for a long time. I was slowly buying parts and checking out individual items that would make this project feasible.

First I bought an ITX casing from lelong.com.my. This is one of the best place to search for good bargains and also check out prices before I head to the stores. I saw a Mini ITX Slim Casing - E-2011 and immediately bought it. Why? The casing comes with a 12V power supply and adapter, this would allow me to use this casing and its contents inside a car without modifications.















This is a picture of the 12V power supply board that comes with the casing.















Next I fitted a ITX ATOM 330 board, this is the same model as the one that I used for my Windows Home Server Project. Looks good but the wires are everywhere... most of them too long, specially the SATA cable.















As you can see the ITX ATOM 330 board is fully equipped in terms of connectivity. Take note that this particular unit has a S-Video out too. Very useful for rear LCD monitors for my kids.















Front of the casing and the provided power adapter. Looks good...

I used to have a 64G SSD Kingston V drive for this project, but I installed it into my LENOVO S10-3T tablet netbook recently. So I have to get another one, might look for a V+ version now as it is much faster and swap with the netbook.

Next I have also order a 2 DIN RONDO mount to replace the current factory radio. It should arrive in a week's time. That will be part 2... so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. The carputer looks good! Looks like you put in a lot of time and effort to assemble it. So what are you planning to have the carputer handle? Are you planning to do some upgrades to the Rondo itself? I would suggest you give it internet capabilities so you can freely keep connected while you’re on the go.


    @Andre Brennan

    ReplyDelete